Cox's Bus Co. Ltd.
Cox’s Bus Services (Blue Ensign)
Established in Cwm 1919
Garage on north end of Newcwm Terrace
Daughter’s marriage from 1 Newcwm Terrace 1918
Mr Albert Henry Con, Haulier, Cwm Terrace (1920 Directory) See photos
A photograph taken probably in 1923 (Pneumatic tyres?) shows that Mr Cox had a shop
in School Terrace at the corner of Cendle Terrace on the north side. His fleet of three buses include a Ford T, a Karrier? HC 2649 and A.N.O.
Red and White made him an offer, which he later regretted accepting.
Taken over by Griffin 1926. Continued to operate under name of Cox (See below 1934?)
September 1930 – The Committee of the Cwm Nursing Association wrote to Mr Cox, the bus proprietor, seeking a free pass for the nurse when she travelled to Waunlwyd on duty. Mr Cox agreed to this.
October 1934 saw the take-over of the smaller bus companies and the Nursing Association decided to approach the Western Welsh Co. for a free bus pass for Nurse Hudson. The application was greeted with the answer that the request would have to go before the operators, Lewis & James. A reply was later received that they could only grant a half rate season ticket for District Nurses and suggested that the Association write to the Red and White, who would probably give her a permit to travel half fare on each individual journey. They said that should this be granted, they would honour that agreement between Ebbw Vale and Cwm only. In December, after contacting the Griffin Motor Company, which had a depot in New Cwm Terrace, Cwm, a reply was received that a meeting had been held between all operators and it had been agreed that they issue a half rate season ticket, which would be honoured by all operators.
Chris Taylor, the Librarian of the Historic Commercial Vehicles Society writes-
It seems that he was employed by T.J. Jones at his furniture shop, Povvell and Jones, in
which he became a partner with TJ. Jones at Brnmawr in about 1902.
Whether he was a soldier in the First World War is not known, but in October 1918 he
purchased a lorry, while living at I New Cwm Terrace and another one in May 1920.
Unfortunately, he was in the hands of the Official Receiver by December 1922, The
reason being that he lost three buses and a lorry due to bad roads and a long illness and
loss of haulage contracts.
He applied for a Bus licence from Aberbeeg to Ebbw Vale and Tredegar in July 1923 and
obtained a vehicle on hire purchase, paid to Edmund Rosser, Somerset Street, Abertillery,
a butcher, but the owner was Guy Brown of Griffin. It is believed that he started
operating in September 1923.
In October 1923 a more general arrangement was made with TJ. Jones of Griffin, a sort
of operating and maintenance contract, where vehicles were purchased with Griffin
backing and hire purchase.
In March 1926, the business was sold to a new company formed from a number of
independent operators in Ebbw Vale. The company was known as Valleys (Ebbw Vale)
Ltd. An offshoot of Valleys Bus Services, Tredegar, one of Webb and
Associated…companies with whom the Griffin owners were friendly. A.H. Cox became
a shareholder in this company.
Very quickly however, in November 1926, the names of A. Zechbauer (Blue Ensign)
were purchased by A.H. Cox via Griffin and run as Blue Ensign, followed by Ted Woods
and Sid Brewer operating as Blue Bird in December 1927. Services were still operated as
Blue Ensign with vehicles from Griffin and Valleys being purchased. The reason for this
subterfuge was to appear to be an independent operator to the Ebbw Vale U.D.C. who
didn’t want a monopoly.
This state of affairs lasted until after the Road Traffic Act of 1931 and the fleet was
absorbed into Griffin in January 1932.
There was however a sideline to this story as there were problems with the Newport to
Chepstow Road and TJ. Jones purchased one of the companies called Blue and White
and it was publicised in the press that Blue and White Ensign had taken on the service,
but it was probably only a smokescreen.
A.H. Cox seemed to be the Griffin manager until he retired in February 1937, when he
had a reception at Church House, Brynmawr. His address (no date) was Aberfoyle,
Willow Lane, Bath.
Date of coverage21/10/2005
- No categories
These are the most popular locations used on the site. The more popular the keyword, the bigger the font size.
View all the locations used in this catalogue.